Friday, May 9, 2008

The Importance of Being Mr. Scrubby


It’s Friday. CSA pickup day. My favorite day of the week and not just because I get to stop by the Tucson CSA pickup location and hang out with all the other environmentally conscious foodies. I get a sense of closure on Fridays. My work week is done and for the next forty-eight hours I get to do what I want. For me that usually means hanging out in my kitchen.

Getting your vegetables directly from the farmer is a great way to ensure that you are getting your produce at its freshest. However there is one minor and easily solved drawback to this. Most vegetables grow in the dirt and the farmer doesn’t always do the best job of washing off the dirt. This is where Mr. Scrubby comes in. When I got my invitation to join the CSA (you have to start on a waiting list!) a friend of mine, who was already a member, gave me Mr. Scrubby. She told me that I would use him every day and she was right. A little bit of cold water, scrub scrub scrub and presto, your veggies are clean. Perhaps it’s not as exciting as the thunderstorm produce showers you can witness at the fancier grocery stores but Mr. Scrubby is cute. How could anyone resist him?

1 comment:

Gina Louise said...

Daaaaddy, I want a Mr. Scrubby! I want a Mr. Scrubby now!