Wednesday, April 30, 2008

An Introduction

I became a member of Tucson Community Supported Agriculture as an exercise in sustainability. Recently I calculated my carbon footprint and it was estimated that I emit 16.2 metric tons of carbon dioxide into the atmosphere every year. While this is lower than the national average of just over 17 I still didn't feel good about it. I needed to do something, but something realistic. I knew I didn't have the discipline to ride my bike to work every day. I'm not in a position to be spending money on carbon offsets or buying a shiny new hybrid vehicle.
I am a chef by profession. I take the food I prepare very seriously, and I like to know where my ingredients are coming from. Fresh fruits and vegetables travel hundreds if not thousands of miles before they end up in grocery stores. Community Supported Agriculture was a way for me to stretch my culinary legs secure in the knowledge that I wasn’t having a dramatic impact on the environment.
The Ground Rules:
- Use CSA (community supported agriculture) produce first.
- Purchase as little produce in grocery stores as possible.
- Every home cooked meal must contain something from the CSA.
- Try every new vegetable received.

No comments: